Monday, January 10, 2011

Feedback Loops

One thing that I'm rapidly learning as we continue this whole "living together" thing is that we both have a tendency to feedback on one another quite badly. Take last night for instance; J got really badly triggered by a comment that someone made towards the beginning of Druid Moon and had to leave the room very abruptly. Well, of course I followed him out to check on him, as is my usual habit. He... wasn't budging. He just wasn't ready to come back in. Meanwhile, I had apparently stored up a lot more hope in finally being able to go to one of the smaller rites and really experience it with him, so I ended up in a bad state.

What happened after that was probably the least pleasant four hours that I have spent in a really long time. He pointed me at a blog post not realizing how seriously I was going to take it and without letting me know that the blog post didn't really reflect where he was at that point but by then I was so badly triggered that I just couldn't talk to him about it and it basically devolved to the point that I was the one in full bore crisis even though he had started to hit recovery upswing.

So, I'm really starting to realize that this feedback cycle is causing us a lot of problems. I'm not really sure how to address that right now. I guess now that we've identified that it is an issue we can at least start to try to work on it.

It's a starting point, right?

1 comment: